Wednesday, February 22, 2023

First Project of 2023 - Raleigh Reg Harris Lenton

 The first half of winter 2022-23 has been devoted mostly to cleaning and refurbishing a number of old parts I have on hand and building wheel sets.

But a few weeks ago, I acquired a 1953 Raleigh "Reg Harris" Lenton model from another collector. This bike was originally located in Columbia, Maryland, not far from where I used to live just outside of Washington, DC. I like the 23 inch frame on 26 inch wheels size.

 

The bike was not in bad shape overall. It needed a cleaning and refurbishing. As is so often the case, the celluloid fenders were broken. But the bike is basically all there and a really nice example of a premium bike. I really like the green color.

I have taken the bike apart, cleaned it, and am in the process of getting everything straight and ready for reassembly. I located a set of early 1950s aluminum fenders from a seller in Britain. They need some work, but are in much better shape than the broken original celluloid fenders.

I have no pictures of the work so far because it's all stuff I have covered in the past: cleaning and re-packing bottom brackets, cleaning and preparing brakes, cleaning the frame (carefully, given the fragile green paint), cleaning and lubing hubs, resurfacing cones when needed, etc. 

I will try to show the work I will be doing that is different from subjects covered many times before (refurbishing aluminum fenders, custom lights, etc.). 

I look forward to getting this bike on the road. The frame has Reynolds 531 main tubes (it's a very light and well-balanced frame) and ornate lugs. The wheels seem to be in pretty good shape, and are the premium Dunlop 26 x 1-1/4 type with Raleigh and Sturmey hubs.

3 comments:

  1. Nice. I had the opportunity to buy a 60's Lenton for dirt cheap many years ago, but decided against it as it would be way too much of a project.
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/its-okay-man-i-can-quit-any-time/
    -Shawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one definitely has some work to be done, and I was on the fence at first, but in the end, the color sold me on it. It's one of those two-stage colors with aluminum underneath and a translucent top coat. The Lenton and Clubman bikes have great frames are lively riders, and pretty light weight too. I figured I would dig in and get it done for the start of riding season. I have a 1941 Schwinn three speed that went to the backburner as a result. But eventually...

      Delete
    2. I think if the paint on the Lenton I looked at back in 2010 was good, I might have gotten it. But as I mention in the post, the original owner of the bike put those oval country stickers over it when they toured Europe in the '60s, then someone at some later point removed them all. It was a mess.

      Delete

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.