Sunday, March 3, 2013

Polishing Chrome Rims

I got a little time to work on the Raleigh Dawn Tourist this weekend, though not as much as usual. I spent this weekend cleaning up the rims, polishing, taping, tubing, and tiring.

For decent chrome, I use a felt Dremel drum and Simichrome polish. I'd be inclined to work solely by hand on older plating, like nickel, or plating that is somewhat compromised or thin. There are a few imperfections in this rim and a few pits, but nothing too bad.





I start with the Dremel Drum and work all over the rim. Then, I use a clean paper towel or a soft cloth to finish the job and work any remaining small spots that need to be done. At the end I wipe it down and get any residue off. I like Simichrome the best for this sort of work, and I recommend it despite the price. The rim tape is Fond de Jante (another favorite of mine- very durable), the tubes are generic ISO 590, and the tires are ISO 590 (26 x 1 3/8) Duro white walls with the street tread.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.