Wednesday, September 16, 2026

1974 Raleigh Sports Ride and Look Back

 

 

I will admit to being a bit sentimental, including about bikes I have owned for a long time. I've owned this bronze green, 1974 Raleigh Sports for about 23 years. I remember getting it in September 2003 as a $30, second-hand bike. This time of year tends to remind me of getting, fixing and riding this bike, so it tends to come out in September and October. 


I've made some changes to the bike over the years, but it has always served me well and has held up nicely. I used it as a commuter for part of college and post-graduate school. After that, I used it as an occasional commuter on nice days and as a recreational machine on bike trails and road rides. It is on tire set #4 since 2003, which isn't a lot for a high-mileage road bike, but is decent mileage for an upright 3-speed bike.


I've always had a generously-sized saddle bag on this bike, a holdover from its days as a commuter when I'd have my personal stuff, lunch, and a few other items in the bag. The British flag lapel pin came from the Crystal City Mall in Virginia at some point very early in the bike's time with me, probably in fall 2003. If I were rebuilding the bike for the first time today, I'd probably use a brown, Acorn-brand small saddle bag. But this large bag is a leftover from bike commuter days... 

I believe I got the bag, pump pegs, and pump from Menotomy Vintage Bicycles (the old "OldRoads" website), which is no longer in business. 

I remember getting stuff for this bike from their shop and from Harris Cyclery in Boston (both are gone now). I got advice tuning the gear ratio and the AW hub from Sheldon Brown (now also gone, too soon). He was always very helpful and would answer emails if his website didn't have a particular detail that was needed for a repair.

Not every bike you own needs to be highly-collectible. This 1974 Sports is a solid, old bike, but not as collectible as some other Raleighs. But I certainly have a soft spot for this bike and plan to keep it as long as I am around. 

Here's a throwback photo from the C&O Canal Trail in 2008, same bike with a little different configuration. (The Trygg double-leg stand cracked and was replaced). I've moved away since, but if you're ever in the DC area, the Capital Crescent, Mt. Vernon, and C&O Canal Trails are all great biking and walking venues.

2008 - C&O Canal Trail, looks like it was a nice evening...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.