Tuesday, August 18, 2026

1949 Schwinn New World - Rare Color

 I've finally refurbished the 1949 Schwinn New World that came from Facebook Marketplace back in January. This is a bike that was originally from NYC and moved upstate with a collector, from whom I purchased the bike. 


The bike had a later stem and handlebars, and some later tires, but it was otherwise pretty much original. This made it a good platform to refurbish, add a three speed hub, add brakes, and remedy the stem and handlebar setup. 

This bike has passed its "shakedown" ride and is ready for its first full-length ride. 

Here are the changes made:

  • Long "AS" Schwinn razorback stem to give more handlebar adjustment.
  • Correct Schwinn tourist bars
  • Period Sturmey Archer AW three speed hub.
  • Addition of correct "Schwinn" brake levers.
  • Addition of correct "Schwinn Built" brake calipers
  • New cables and housings.
  • Correct (and scarce) 1949 "silver face" Sturmey Archer shifter.
  • Addition of correct metal fulcrum clip and shifter pulley.
  • Cr-Mo 7/8" top seat post.
  • Gyes leather tourist saddle (three spring)
  • Acorn Made-in-USA saddlebag.
  • Koma fender-mount LED rear light.
  • Old stock British-made reflector
  • Kiley LED front head light
  • MKS 3000S pedals
  • Clean and re-grease all mechanical areas.
  • Patch paint with matching enamel as needed.  

This bike uses a little different tail light set up than I typically use. I normally mount the reflector in the reflector hole on the fender, then clamp a tail light onto the seat stay. This is typical of old-time lightweights. In this case, I thought I'd try something more streamlined. The loose fender brace rivet is removed and replaced by the reflector. The LED light is then mounted directly to the rear fender in the former reflector mounting hole. It gives the safety of a reflector and LED combo but without the need for any additional clamps on the frame. Everything mounts neatly to the rear fender. 


 

The full-length test ride is next for this bike. After that, I'll pick a nice bell out of my collection and mount it to the handlebars. I'll probably use an Origin8 brass striker bell, which is a simple and effective bell that looks nice on these bikes.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.