Friday, October 27, 2023

Late Season Rides - 1959 Schwinn Traveler Three Speed

 We've had excellent weather here this week, with temperatures above 70 deg. F (21 deg. C.). So I took a couple of different bikes out for rides this week: 1940 Raleigh Model 35, 1953 Raleigh Lenton, and 1959 Schwinn Traveler. All of these are fun, solid bicycles to ride on a warm autumn day.

 

The 1959 Traveler needed some minor maintenance. I've found there's a break-in period for every rebuilt, vintage bicycle. This usually means minor adjustments to the brakes, touch-ups to paint, and truing to wheels. Sometimes the rear hub needs a little oil, or handle bars or a saddle need adjustment. In this case, I needed to adjust the front brake and true the front wheel. Thankfully, nothing more than that so far.

 


I try to ride every day that I can this time of year because the season is so close to ending. I probably have 10 days or so left to ride in the evening after work. Once the clocks go back to Eastern Standard Time, it's too dark. Sometimes I'll slip a day in on the weekend, if it's suitably warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.