Thursday, August 17, 2023

"Found" Rides

 Tonight, I managed to get in what I like to think of as a "found" ride (a bit like what they call, "found" money). A "found" ride is a ride that you didn't think you would be able to take, one that was strongly in doubt due to time, daylight, weather, any other circumstance.

 

We've had an awful summer for rain. I don't think we've had more than two dry days in a row here in weeks. It seems like we get at least some rain every other day, or every third day. This time of year is usually pretty dry, but this summer has been cool and very wet.

 

Today started off very damp: foggy, with mist and light rain. I brought my riding clothes with me to the office in a bag, just in case I caught a good break. Given the weather this morning, I figured there was no way I'd be riding. But then I caught a break:  the weather cleared out just enough, and just in time, to squeeze in a ride of an hour or so this evening.

I had my bike (1949 Raleigh Clubman tourist) stashed in the office conference room from when I tried to ride earlier this week, but it rained at that time, so the bike stayed at work until I could get a decent evening. Tonight I managed to pick up a ride that I thought was lost to this awful weather... count it a "found" ride.

 

Any night you can ride is a good night, especially this summer...

 

P.S./Edit: Looking at that last photo, the plants are long, lush and very green for August around here. That's what they normally look like in May, but this summer has been so damp... the plants have been in fast-growth "May" mode all summer. My lawn mower has been at work all summer, it seems.

1 comment:

  1. Nice that all aligned to allow the unplanned ride!

    You've mentioned the odd weather conditions a few times at least. Both the constant rain, and our "fallout" (for lack of a better word) from the Canadian wildfires. For those not affected, or a future reader, I assure you this is no exaggeration. I'm still cutting my lawn twice a week; usually while the grass is still wet, and this is with a manual reel mower. The only thing not growing well are my roses - usually I just prune and they take care of themselves. This year too much water. I've camped once this season, and the kids and I enjoyed 22 hours of straight rain--quite heavy at times. This was in a tent. The real kicker, however, is that I found myself in San Diego over the weekend, and got to experience tropical storm Hillary firsthand. One goes to the desert to get away from the rain and humidity...

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.