Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Happy 4th of July - A Focus on American-Made Schwinn Three Speeds

 Independence Day is here again, and so why not a discussion of the Schwinn-made three speed bikes I currently have in my collection?

I've owned many Schwinn three speeds over the years. Some of them were basic and common types, while others were quite unusual. That being said, here are the ones I have held onto and which I like to think are "keepers":

Of the Schwinns I have not sold or traded away, in order of how I acquired them:

  • 1947 Schwinn New World: I bought this bike as part of a pair of bikes that were found in Indiana. It originally was a single speed freewheel bike, but I subsequently upgraded it to a three speed bike with a set of stainless steel wheels from a late 1940s Schwinn Continental. When I substantially downsized my collection after moving from Virginia to Connecticut, this was the only Schwinn I kept because I was quite attached to it.


 

  • 1950 Schwinn Superior: This bike came as a partial bike from a collection based in Oakland, California. It had no wheels when I got it. I subsequently built a nice set of wheels using old hubs and new-old stock S6 Schwinn rims. It's a wonderfully comfortable bike to ride and I love the aluminum-green color. It even has a white rear fender tail, similar to a British bike. This bike is set up for a sportier feel than my other Schwinns. 

 


  • 1964 Schwinn Traveler: This bike came from an online auction. I bought it because it was a tall frame model, which was not something I had in my collection. It also is a nice example of how luxurious the higher-end Schwinn three speeds could be in the post-war period. It has beautiful, stainless steel fenders and excellent chrome plating on the bright parts. The black paint is also quite nice. The frame has braze-ons for the three speed pulley, and the brake cables. It's a heavy bike that gives a solid and comfortable ride. It is not a "fast" bike by any means, but it's also not really a burden to ride either. If you enjoy Raleigh three speeds, check out some of these older Schwinns to throw a little variety into your ride and your collection.


 

  • 1942 Schwinn New World: This bike came as a bike core from another collector, in Texas. I had a pile of New World parts sitting around and decided to refurbish the bike core with the New World parts. I put on a set of unique, pre-war Schwinn Superior handlebars. At first, I was skeptical of the bars because they were so wide and kind of a looping type design, but after riding them, I realized they are very comfortable. Because this bike came as a "core" to me, I felt freer to customize certain aspects. I built this bike up in a WWII aviation theme, with wing pedals, wing chain guard, and WWII US wings lapel pin on the bag.


 

  • 1941 Schwinn New World: I bought this as a bike core from an online auction. It is somewhat unusual in that it is a "Planes and Trains" badge model that doesn't actually say "New World" anywhere on the bike. Yet the bike is certainly a pre-war New World with a little fancier headbadge. This bike is fillet brazed. I added a little bit taller stem and taller tourist bars to give this bike a little more upright ride than my other Schwinns (it's kind of like a Raleigh Sports). This is a comfortable bike to ride, though is not necessarily a bike that I would describe as "quick". 

 

I love refurbishing and bringing an old bike "core" back to life as much as I like doing a more exacting, period refurbishment. I take each project as an individual and use what I have to advantage in rebuilding the bikes.

 

I've also sold or traded away a number of Schwinns, as well as other classic American bikes. They're great bikes, but you can only have so many at a time... Within the last 10 years or so (I won't bore you by going back farther), here are the ones I recall:

  • 1949 Schwinn New World: A red bike with a damaged frame. Retired the frame and saved the parts.
  • 1947 Schwinn New World: A black women's bike that I built for my wife using aluminum rims, and brakes. It was very sporty for a New World, but my wife doesn't really like bicycles so sold it.
  • 1941 Schwinn New World: A red bike core that came from an antique shop in California. I rehabilitated this bike with many period parts, but opted to put on a set of nice, post-war stainless steel Continental wheels. I somewhat regret selling this one, but I kind of have a similar bike again in the other 1941 New World that I currently own.
  • 1947 Schwinn Continental: This bike came from a fellow collector in Florida. It was a beautiful blue color and very sporty. I had the choice when I downsized: keep the Continental or the black New World. I had a more sentimental attachment to the black New World. So the previous owner bought this bike back from me for the same as what I paid him for it. The Continental was a fun, clean, and very sporty bike, but there was only so much space on the moving truck. If you like the New World, but are hungering for something lighter and sportier, the 1940s-50s Continental is definitely a model to look for.
  • 1942 Schwinn New World: This was a green bike I acquired in a swap with fellow collector for a Schwinn DX balloon tire bike. The New World was a partial black-out bike that I eventually sold. It was an interesting project, but I just didn't have space for it.
  • 1941 Schwinn-Hoffman New World: This bike was one of the unusual "jobber" bikes that Schwinn made before WWII. It had a normal New World badge, but simplified frame decals and a weird decal where the Schwinn quality "cross" decal on the seat tube was actually a "Hoffman" decal with an arrow that seemed to be derived from the cross decal. I sold this to a collector in Washington State.
  • 1954 Schwinn World Traveler: This bike was a beautiful, Opal Green color. A fellow collector saw it and really wanted it, so I sold it to him. It was a fun bike to ride and a real head-turner because of that color.
  • 1940 Westfield Sports Roadster: this was a wonderfully preserved single speed bike that mixed American and English aspects. It had a diamond frame, fenders, and white rear fender tip like an English bike, but a single speed coaster brake, heavy-duty chain, and frame geometry like an American bike. I sold it to a collector in Mexico.
  • 1940s Manton Smith roadster: this was a really odd bike I bought from a fellow collector. It had an ornate paint scheme like a balloon tire bike and very laid back frame angles. Yet it had the diamond frame and upright ride of an English bike. I donated this to a local bike charity.
  • 1950 Columbia Three Star Deluxe: this was a very attractive, balloon tire bike that had a blue and cream color combo. As with so many old "cruiser" type bikes, it was a single speed with relatively high gearing. It was a cushy ride and a lot of fun, but it was a pain to climb hills with it. I sold it in an online sale to a guy who had a similar blue bike as a kid.
     
There are probably others that I have forgotten. I have a soft spot for the utilitarian New World bikes, both the brazed ones and the electroforge welded ones. I find they are comfortable, well-made bikes that are reasonably affordable to buy and repair.


3 comments:

  1. One thing I've come to appreciate about your postings is the way you portray the subtle differences between the different eras of Schwinn and Raleigh lightweights--particularly how they compare as riders. I've never had opportunity to ride a fillet brazed Schwinn, but I'm really intrigued by them, based on how you've compared them to other bikes I have experienced. Not only in this particular post, but over the life of the blog.
    -Wilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I was initially skeptical of the Schwinn three speeds compared to the Raleigh. I discovered the earlier (1950s and earlier at least) Schwinn three speeds by accident 12 or so years ago after coming across an old Schwinn catalog. I was originally familiar only with the 1970s era ones, and the Raleighs from that vintage seemed a lot better to me. At the time, I was surprised that Schwinn had been making three speeds since before WWII.

      The fillet brazed New Worlds are generally a little lighter than the welded New World frames, but it's not a huge difference. I guess they have the hand-built cachet though. You notice a bigger difference if you can find one of the Cro-Moly Continentals from the 1940s. The Continental from that era has a lighter frame and the wheels are also lighter. They're stainless steel S6 compared to the chrome steel S6. Sometimes the Continentals have duraluminum hubs as well, which is a nice touch.

      I am not sure how popular Schwinn "lightweights" were in New England back in the day. Raleigh USA was based in Boston and they seemed to have pretty firm control over the market for three speed bikes around here. If you can find one of the old, 1940s era Continentals for a good price, it's worth trying out.

      Delete
  2. My experience was somewhat opposite: I discovered my first Schwinn three speed (a 1954 middleweight) at a flea market, and bought it on impulse. My first bicycle of any kind in at least 15 years (previous bike being a 1987 Trek 560 road bike). When I decided to procure a 2nd bike (thinking wife would ride it), I went for a 1968 Schwinn Speedster, with the TCW hub. I ended up riding that bike myself, and put a lot of miles on it. A few bikes later, I was trying to sell a really nice mid-level road bike. A local buyer badly wanted it, but only had half of my asking price. He offered to swap my choice of two nicely refurbished English three speeds. I accepted when he offered the trade plus the cash. It was a pristine 1972 Dunelt light roadster. I came to appreciate the English way with this bike.

    As for a '40s Continental, I agree. It's on my mental short list of ones to keep on the lookout for once my present rides are fully sorted, and non-keepers re-homed.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.