Thursday, September 8, 2022

New Look, On-Going Project...

So after 10 full years (Bike Shed had its 10th anniversary in August 2022) of using a simple, grey and black theme, Blogger has decided it is dumping compatibility with that old design. The text was no longer displaying properly, at least on some computers, and customization of the layout was pretty limited by today's standards.

So it was time for a new look. I have decided that blue and grey look pretty good, and are easy enough on the eyes... So blue and grey it will be for now.

Now, for a more interesting subject... I am making slow but steady progress on re-building a 1942, World War II era Schwinn New World. Schwinn built this bicycle for B.F. Goodrich, to be sold in that company's tire shops. I received this as a bike "core" - frame, fenders, and a few other parts. 

 

Added to this bike are a 1950s-era US-made stem (Wald, I suppose), and a set of Schwinn "North Road" style handlebars. Those are Schwinn's interpretation of the popular, British North Road bars used by Raleigh on its Sports and other light roadster bikes.

Also added to the mix are a set of 1940s "Schwinn Built" brake calipers, and 1940s Schwinn brake levers.

The bottom bracket set is from a 1941 Schwinn New World: dogleg crank, 4-hole chainring, and the hardware to go with that. Also from a 1941 New World are the wire braces for the fenders.

The wheelset is a 1950s era Sturmey Archer rear hub and a 1950s type Schwinn hourglass front hub. The rims are "new old stock" Schwinn S6 steel/chrome rims. The spokes are Sapim double-butted stainless. 


 

The project is not yet done, but I chalk this up to another New World that started as a bike core and a few parts, and which will now become a fully capable bicycle once again. I have more to do, but so far so good...


3 comments:

  1. I like the new look! I'm a firm believer in the concept of refreshing a blog's template every few years or so.

    And to be honest, I'm sort of surprised that Google still services Blogger. I really thought they would dump it years ago, much like they did Google Reader, Google+, and other random apps. This definitely motivated me to switch from blogger to Wordpress almost ten years ago.

    best,
    Shawn
    https://societyofthreespeeds.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how much longer Blogger will be up and running. I have to believe it's not one of Google's stronger performers, but I guess I'm still here... I have used WordPress, and I think it's pretty good. If I had to move shop, I think it would be over to WordPress.

      Delete
    2. Thankfully Wordpress made it pretty easy to transition, as I was able to migrate all of my content from my old Blogger site to the new WP site. There can be slight formatting issues here and there, but it was surprisingly easy. I still have the old Blogger site out there, but anyone can access all my old posts via my current WP site.
      -Shawn

      Delete

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.