Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Heat Shrink Tubing for Dynohub Wiring Set Ups

If you're like me, you have a variety of lighting set ups on your various bicycles. The simplest involve AA or AAA batteries powering LED lights. But the more complex set ups involve splicing a Dynohub and its original wiring into something modern like a B&M Lumotec Classic. 

The result is that you need wire hookups that will be reliable and stay tight.

I soldered B&M-friendly wire connectors onto the old wires. The solder joints were originally covered by electrical tape. The problem with electrical tape is that it seems to degrade down to gunk in just a couple of years.

So my wife bought these electrician's heat shrink tubes for me for Christmas. These are more modern invention than electrical tape and leave much cleaner wraps around the connections.

 

I took a little time this week to convert my Raleigh Sports connection covers over to the heat shrink, and I am happy with the results.

So if you struggle with electrical tape coverings that turn to gunk, give the heat shrink covers a try.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.