Monday, December 6, 2021

1964 Schwinn Traveler - Union Chain Made in W. Germany

One thing I normally replace on older bikes is the chain. I don't like taking chances on worn chains, chains that may be harboring cracked links, damaged chains that might wear the drive train prematurely, etc. 

But this 1964 Traveler has low mileage apparently, and the Union-made West German chain is still quite nice. 

 

The bluing is still strong and it doesn't have any really substantial rust on it. It feels pretty good - not too loose and not too worn. 

 

I think I will re-use it on this bike. I have a few sections of other Union chains like this around, chains that aren't as nice but which have a few nice sections to them. I'll need to lengthen the chain a bit to go with the larger 22-tooth rear cog, so I'll splice in a section of good links from another Union chain, and I should have a pretty good, original chain to run.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.