Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Schwinn Superior 3 Speed - Adjust-as-you-go

 One thing about when you "finish" a vintage bike project is that you're not ever really, totally finished. The best example I can think of is when you finally are out on the road on your recently-completed "gem", you'll be particularly sensitive if an adjustment is off. 

 

Sometimes the bottom bracket is just a little loose, sometimes the headset is just a little tight, sometimes the brakes are just a little soft, sometimes the seat is just a little too high or low. It's not that the bike is dangerous at all, it's that you just feel something is "off". 

So the first few rides are a "shake down" of sorts. This is when you ride the bike, check for issues or fit, and then come back and adjust as needed. I always bring a little adjustable wrench, and sometimes a spoke wrench and little screwdriver in my bike bag when I first get a newly completed project back on the road.

 

In the case of the Schwinn Superior, the first couple rides told me I needed to raise the seat a touch, true the wheels just a little more, and adjust the brakes and handlebars just a little bit. Tonight, I noticed that I have just a touch of play in the bottom bracket, which may have developed as everything is sort of "breaking in". The bottom bracket has new bearing balls and grease.

So the next step is to tweak the bottom bracket a bit, and then it will go back on the road for more rides. I guess you have to look at the "shake down" phase as part of the fun. But I will admit, I'm happier when everything is finally adjusted just to my liking.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.