Monday, October 2, 2017

New Kickstand for Raleigh Sports

Well after 13-14 years, the Trygg double-legged kickstand on my 1974 Raleigh Sports finally started coming apart. It had developed two cracks near where the legs mount. It served well, and for a long time. It also helped me commute on the bike, because standing the bike straight up on the stand allowed me to park it in a number of places you might not otherwise be able to use.





So I bought and mounted this ESGE Raleigh "Type A" kickstand. I love these 1970s-era aluminum stands. They are designed for the Raleigh Sports frame and are well-made.


 As you can see, there's a little flattening to the chainstays, which often happens when someone tightens down a kickstand. I over-tightened the Trygg when I put it on many years ago. I was more concerned with stability than anything else because the Sports was my only vehicle in college. In retrospect, I over-did it, though I will say the stand was always very stable and never let me down. The new stand mostly covers the flattening, and the damage isn't really all that bad.


I added a rubber tip to help preserve the stand end a little bit. As a tip - you can mount a rubber tip to your kickstand to give the end a little more grip and to help keep the stand from getting chewed up by pavement. You can get it to stick with a little Aquanet-type sticky hairspray.


6 comments:

  1. Cool! Did you think about getting a double legged kickstand to replace the Trygg?

    Ironically enough, just threw a double-legged Trygg on my Superbe.

    By the way, are you going to participate in the Three Speed October Challenge?

    -Shawn
    http://societyofthreespeeds.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Trygg was a good stand, but it's overkill if it's just a hobby bike. They're good if you're parking the bike in different spots because they're so stable. The ESGE is the best of the 'basic' stands from this era, so I went with that.

      Delete
    2. What is this "hobby" bike you talk of? ;-)

      And are ya gonna do Three Speed October?

      Shawn
      http://societyofthreespeeds.worpress.com/

      Delete
    3. No - there does not seem to be a single, weekly form option. The online form is for each individual ride, which is going to be a lot for me.

      Delete
  2. Where'd you find that Esge kickstand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an eBay find. I guess someone cleaned an old bike shop out because the part was still in its original wrapping. They really nailed the stand design with the ESGE stands, both on the Sports and the DL-1.

      Delete

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.