Sunday, October 4, 2015

Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed: Getting Close

With a rainy weekend and cooler weather closing in, I worked overtime on the Raleigh Sprite 5 speed project this weekend. It is 95% done. The remaining 5% is to clean up a set of frame air pump clamps and mount a frame air pump on the bike.

The bike has two "muscle car" style tall sticks to operate the 5 speed hub. This is a pretty cool feature of this particular Sprite.

I also equipped the bike with a custom electrical system. I used a new 12v/6w tire generator and headlamp, but re-used an old miller bracket and tail light I had around. I put an appropriately rated tail light bulb in the tail lamp.

The tires are Duro white walls. The 1967 Raleigh catalog shows a Sprite with white wall tires and I took my cue from that.

I will get better pictures once I have the pump on and have a bit more sunlight.