Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Fall, Riding Bikes, and Other Things



Autumn weather arrived this week, and today was a typical riding day in early fall. It was cool, but still warm enough to ride without a coat. It was also a bit windy, but it was dry.



We've actually had a dry run of weather lately, which has enabled me to ride quite a lot. I find myself more and more thankful for every day that Providence gives me to ride. Riding is a gift not to be taken for granted.


I took out this 1941 Schwinn New World bike today. It's a pleasant, well-balanced bike. It's not terribly fast, but it's reasonably light and just a lot of fun on the road. Schwinn got this design right way back in the day.



I've also been thinking lately about winter riding. It's entirely possible to ride in the cold, but I refuse to ride on road salt or road brine. Road treatments are very corrosive on steel.

My wife does triathlons, and recently bought a basic trainer that connects to any quick-release road bike. I have a Raleigh Grand Prix from 1974 that is a candidate for the trainer during any period that may arise where I can't ride because of the road salt. I think if things get bad this winter, I'll try mixing some jogging with use of the Grand Prix on the trainer. I hate jogging, but it's a necessary part of winter exercise if I can't ride on the roads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.