Sunday, May 5, 2013

Schwinn New World Bicycle (1947) Spring Rides

The weather has finally settled into a pattern of sorts. Here in Virginia, April brought a bipolar mixture of very hot days and, sometimes, frosty nights. The up and down became so bad at one point that it killed all of the herb seeds in my greenhouse. It also meant one day riding in a heavy coat, the next in shorts.

Of late, the weather has improved. We're mostly in the 60s now during the day, perhaps up to 70 or so. At night it's in the 40s and 50s. This is prime bicycling weather for me. I love it cool. Even after 11 in the Maryland, DC, and Virginia area, I still do not do well in the sticky heat of summer. The winter is not too bad, but the summer is rough.

The past couple of years we've had almost no spring. In fact, the temperature immediately jumped into the 80s and 90s in April. This year, we seem to be having an actual spring, which coupled with the fall, makes for the best biking of the year.








This past Friday evening I took the Schwinn New World for a ride. I had planned on staying at work late to pick up some extra hours to use as credit time later, but the weather was just too nice. I saw several people slip out early to do things outdoors. I got in my full day, but didn't go over time.







As expected, the ride was outstanding and the New World behaved beautifully. The brakes work as well as can be expected (knock on wood), and the single speed freewheel is a mild, smooth riding hub.

I took a few shots of the bike in the orchard here, near the shed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.