Saturday, May 26, 2018

Traditional, New Pedals for 1/2 Inch Spindles (U.S. Size)

 I'm a big fan of traditional rubber block pedals made without reflectors. While reflector pedals have a little extra safety element, they are not correct for older utility bikes, such as 1940s-50s era bikes.

So when I found out that MKS is making a traditional pedal in both 9/16 and 1/2 inch spindle sizes, I jumped on some. These are the MSK 3000S pedals - they've been made for decades, but are now becoming more readily available online thanks to sellers in Japan.


I recently bought a set of 3000S pedals in the 1/2 inch spindle size. This size is particularly difficult to find high-quality, traditional pedals. This is the size that old, American-made bikes take, both those with one-piece cranks, as well as 1940s-50s Schwinns with cottered cranks.

The 3000S pedals have arrived, and the quality is very good. They also fit perfectly in these Schwinn cranks from the 1940s. They will be a welcomed alternative to using old-stock pedals, which often are bent or worn. I'll keep riding my old Torrington #8 pedals, but I will have a ready back up set of MKS 3000S pedals for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic and civil. Comments subject to moderation.