Saturday, September 17, 2016

Busch and Muller Lumotec Classic





We really start to lose daylight this time of year. I am still able to ride in the evening after work to some degree, but only with the help of a good headlight. With that in mind, I began thinking about whether I could upgrade to a better headlight on my 1974 Raleigh Sports.



My approach was simple: a good quality, LED headlight that captures the classic look of the 1950s-60s chrome lights.

I thought about modifying an old shell to take an LED, as I had done on a 1958 Sports. But this time, I didn't want the battery and instead wanted to use the dynohub on the 1974 Raleigh.




Blogger Adventure suggested a Lumotec Classic Headlight. It looks reasonably good and was able to be adapted to the vintage Raleigh mounts and vintage wires.

The result is a reasonably powerful light for around $50 that can be used with a vintage tail light and set up.







The LED is a big upgrade to the old Sturmey Archer headlight. The LED uses less electricity, puts out more light, and even has a stand/park light function thanks to a capacitor in its circuit.

The light looks reasonably good, and will help me extend the riding season during the weeknights several weeks longer in the spring and fall.